Hi, I'm Rudi, i'm 8 years old and my favourite book is 'Tarka the Otter' by Henry Williamson. Its about the life of an otter named Tarka and British Wildlife. One night i was reading the book with my dad and i said that i wanted to see all the animals in the book, he said i should do it and call it the Tarka Challenge. My Tarka Challenge started on 1st January 2012. The book contains 89 birds, 54 land based animals, 120 plants and 56 aquatic organisms.

The rules are simple, i must either see each thing myself or photograph it using my trail camera. I will try and see each thing on my local patch (Ogmore River Catchment) but may need to look somewhere else in Britain.

Tarka Trail

Last week we went on holiday and stayed in a caravan at Westward Ho! in Devon. It was pretty cold but it was good fun. I think the wildlife stayed away because of the cold wind so we didnt get to see much but we did see Oystercatchers on the beach every morning.



We almost bumped into this Little Eggret that was looking for something to eat in a ditch, probably after a frog or something.



This area was where the story of Tarka was based so we visited the Devon Tourist information in Braunton to find out some information.





We hired some bikes and rode along the Tarka Trail bike track which runs along the rivers where Tarka lived. It was quite difficult riding along and watching the river to try to see an otter. We didnt see an otter but i did crash into a ditch and fall off whilst looking. We saw lots of places we recognised from the film of Tarka the Otter.









The holiday was good fun. But we did see lots of dead animals by the sides of the roads which made me sad including Pheasants and Buzzards. We saw at least 15 dead Badgers including this poor fellow, who knows he may have been a relation to the original Bloody Bill Brock the main Badger in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment